University Prep is seeking a talented, dynamic and compassionate Upper School English Teacher to help us advance our vision of being an inclusive community of learners that provides an outstanding education for each individual in a diverse student population. We are looking for someone who can work effectively independently as well as part of a team. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching English and who is passionate about teaching to upper school students and enhancing student life. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you. Salary is competitive with public and independent schools. University Prep offers an excellent benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and an extraordinary work environment.
Who We Are:
University Prep is an independent 6-12 school located in an urban residential section of Seattle, WA, one of the country’s most diverse and dynamic cities. We are a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni who collaboratively create an exceptional educational experience for every student. The school is a place of great teaching and joyful learning; a community that joins together to raise up our children to be caring and productive adults; a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and a place where every family and student feels equally enfranchised and at home. To us, diversity and inclusivity are not addenda, they are embodied in all facets of our school culture. University Prep believes that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission of developing each student’s potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
Under minimal supervision, teaches four sections of Upper School English, including a combination of sections in our 9/10 foundations courses and our 11/12 elective courses.
· Teaches four sections of Upper School English (with the potential to teach a combination of Upper and Middle School sections, depending on expertise)
· Serves as an Upper School Advisor
· Actively participates in the life of the school outside the classroom
· Vigorously engages in his/her own professional development
· Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
· Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
· Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
· Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in English or a related field from a four-year college or university required
· Master’s degree in English or a related field preferred
· Teaching certification preferred
· 5+ years of successful teaching experience in an Upper School environment preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Competence in the content area and pedagogy for Upper School
· Good understanding of the developmental needs of Upper School students
· Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the students and program
· Energy and enthusiasm and ability to hold students and oneself to high expectations
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds
· Ability to create an active learning environment that supports understanding, passion and creativity in students
· Ability to prepare lessons to appeal to a variety of learning styles, needs and accommodations
· Ability to use formative assessments and strategies in the classroom
· Deep interest in being part of a community as a colleague and grade-level team member
· Experience being part of a curricular and co-curricular team preferred
· Educational leadership experience (team leader, department head, grade-level coordinator) preferred
· Coaching experience at any level preferred
· Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
· Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
· Ability to maintain confidential information
· Flexibility, maturity and a sense of humor
· Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows or Mac environment using Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
· Comfortable with operating Audio/Visual equipment
· Ability and interest in coaching and/or working in our outdoor program is a plus
Thank you for your interest in this position and in University Prep. If you would like to apply, please visit us at http://www.universityprep.org/who-we-are/careers
In your cover letter or online application with the employer, please indicate that you learned of this job from nemnet.com. Failure to do so may prevent you from qualifying for the Nemnet SIGNING BONUS.
If you are hired by one of our member schools please contact Nemnet immediately via email [firstname.lastname@example.org] or phone [888.919.1112], you may be entitled to the Nemnet SIGNING BONUS.