A typical structure is as follows:
- Get the reference's permission. Inform all references, in advance, of your intentions. Send them a copy of the job description and your resume. This will help them should the prospective employer call or ask for a letter of reference.
- Tell them why you are applying for that particular position.
- Be sure that he or she knows you well.
- Three  - Five  references is more than enough [Unless otherwise stated or requested]
- Send all references a thank you note.
Components of a List of References
Your Name . . . Contact information [Address, Telephone Number, Email, etc.]
Name of Reference
City, State, ZIP
Email Address [If applicable]
Sample List of References
Mr. Adam Roe 1717 Madison Avenue, Chicago, IL 45208 Telephone: (800) 232-9898 Email: email@example.com
Mr. CARLOS RICHARD, Ph.D.
Professor of Education
Rover Hills Graduate School of Education
Cambridge, MA 02138
Telephone (800) 496-4500
Ms. MARTHA PINA
Chicago, IL 06258
Telephone (747) 963-6100
Mr. PETER MOORE, Jr.
Main Frame College
Main Frame, VT 05753
Telephone (800) 443-5166
Ms. AYANNA HALL
Winsor, MA 02181
Telephone (800) 288-8000